On December 27, 1965, Bollywood screenwriter, Salim Khan and his first wife, Sushila Charak were blessed with their eldest son, Salman Khan. A young boy, who started his career as a supporting actor in Biwi Ho To Aisi in 1988, swooned us with his boy-next-door charm in Maine Pyaar Kiya as the protagonist in the film. Proving his Apna Andaz, he made every girl ‘cough twice’ with his single mention and his journey from Prem to Dabangg Chulbul Pandey had made us scream, Yeh Hai Jalwa! Everyone in this Bharat had thanked the almighty by saying God Tussi Great Ho for blessing us with the most-Wanted hero of a generation, Salman Khan. Chori Chori Chupke Chupke we had lost our heart to the Prem of Bollywood and wished for a Partner like him.
With the fame and achievements Salman Khan had received over the years with hard work and talent, we admire how he puts his influential status to the best use and reaches out his hand to people from all walks of life. We have seen Salman as an actor. Now let’s take a sneak peek into Salman – as a philanthropist.
1. The first and foremost is the Being Human Foundation. This Mumbai-based charity was founded by Salman Khan in 2007 that aims to provide education and healthcare services to the underprivileged in India. Salman’s Being Human Foundation supports Akshara High School, Aseema, Career Development Centers, Educational Resource Center in Maharashtra, Maharashtra Prabodhan Seva Mandal (MPSM), Education Support Program for Adivasi Primary Learners, Theatre And Drama Initiative, Being Bajrangi and Tubelight Project in the education. In healthcare, the foundation supports Craniofacial Program, Drought Relief Initiative In Maharashtra, Free Eye Camps, Little Hearts Program, Marrow Donor Registry, India, Relief Initiative for Kashmir Flood Victims, The Max Foundation, Cochlear implants, Women’s Health Camps and Cleft Program.
2. When 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) soldiers were attacked in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, Salman Khan had extended his support to the martyrs. Via his foundation, Salman had then pledged an unspecified monetary donation to contribute for Pulwama martyrs, urging people to contribute to the #BharatKeVeer Fund.
3. The prime superstar and occasional painter, Salman Khan’s talent and passion for painting isn’t a hidden side anymore. Whatever he touches becomes a blockbuster hit, be it films or a paintbrush. Salman’s paintings are as unique as him and he had gifted his artwork to a lot of B-town celebrities. Reportedly, Salman had decided to auction his paintings in 2007 and had donated the money to an organisation. Apparently, Salman had also donated some of his paintings to an NGO headed by Ramola Bachchan, and the money earned was given to the NGO.
4. To express his gratitude to the workers at the Film City, Salman Khan had reportedly once arranged for a health checkup camp for all the staff there. Salman had also distributed gifts including brand new sarees for women and Being Human t-shirts for the men.
5. In 2014, Salman Khan had made an announcement, “If any kids on FB ya twitter who has a heart condition n can’t afford to get it treated, B H vil get 100 genuine patients treated.” The man with a big heart had decided to help patients with heart ailments.
6. During the shoot of Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Salman Khan had reportedly taken the entire unit including director Kabir Khan and co-star, Kareena Kapoor Khan to a village called Hatluni. Salman had painted the houses, gifted sarees to the women and had even hosted a fun football match for the kids there.
7. When Salman Khan was shooting for Bajrangi Bhaijaan, he had helped a family of six. Salman had met and listen to the problems of a 75-year-old lady, Zaina Begum, and had reportedly helped her eldest grandson in getting a job on the sets of his film and even brought him to Mumbai to work with him. Acknowledging the heartfelt gesture of Salman, the overwhelmed boy had said, “Upar khuda hai, neeche Salman Khan”.
8. In 2017, Salman Khan had celebrated Diwali with the kids from a band called Dharavi Rocks. Salman, who isn’t a fan of crackers, had wanted to celebrate the festival of lights with music and his team of Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo had accompanied him. The members of Dharavi Rocks are extremely talented as they make music with the help of junk items like buckets, old tins, wooden planks, or other recycled waste.
9. In January 2017, Salman Khan and his family had attended the wedding ceremony of his driver, Ashok’s son. Taking out time from his busy schedule and work commitments, Salman had attended the wedding reception with his family. Known for his generosity and kind-heartedness, Salman went the extra mile to bring a smile on his driver, Ashok, and his family’s face.
10. Once post attending a party, Salman had found some children selling coloring books outside the venue. Since he was carrying cards at the moment, he had borrowed money from his bodyguards and bought the books from the little ones. Salman had also sponsored the education of those kids through his foundation, Being Human.
The list of Salman Khan as a philanthropist is endless and just as big his stardom is, his heart is even bigger. There are people questioning his charitable works and good deeds as a marketing strategy to cover up his legal proceedings, but nothing can belittle the kindness this 54-year-old actor is blessed with!